Library services first began in Lansing in 1912, when the Lansing Library Association was organized by the P. E. O. Sisterhood and the E.W.A. a federated Iowa Women’s club. The articles of incorporation for this association were established in 1914. The first library was located on the corner of Front and Main Streets. Later it moved to upper Main Street to the building immediately east of the present building. That property was given to the Library Association by local residents. Membership in the Library Association was $1 per year. Two women’s groups managed the association until 1935, when it was given to the city and the Lansing Public Library was established. The city then took over the financial support. The first library building was built in 1967 and was made possible through a bequest from the Anna and Klara Koehm estate, who were longtime teachers in the Lansing schools. The furnishings for the new building were donated by local organizations or individuals. The Lansing Public Library is part of the State of Iowa Library system. The state is divided into seven regions and we are part of the Northeast region, whose headquarters are at the Waterloo Public Library. A new library building replaced the 1967 building and was dedicated in August of 2005. The new library is three times larger than the old library; the spacious, refreshing atmosphere caused a major increase in patron usage too. It is truly a beautiful building.
There are currently no items in this folder.