Mission Statement and Purpose Policy
It is the purpose of the Meehan Memorial Lansing Public Library to provide the residents of the community and surrounding area an access to printed and other forms of materials, within the limits of space and budget, and to provide other resources and services which will aid them in the pursuit of education, information, research, recreation and in the creative use of leisure time.
The library also proposes that every individual will have access through it to the more extensive materials and services provided by the Regional Library System and the State Library of Iowa.
The Purpose of the Library
- The purpose of the Library is to preserve the integrity of civilization.
- The Library has a moral obligation to adhere to its purpose despite social, economic, environmental, or political influences. The purpose of the Library will never change.
- The Library is infinite in its capacity to contain, connect and disseminate knowledge; librarians are human and ephemeral, therefore we must work together to ensure the Library’s permanence.
- Individual libraries serve the mission of their parent institution or governing body, but the purpose of the Library overrides that mission when the two come into conflict.
- Why we do things will not change, but how we do them will.
- A clear understanding of the Library’s purpose, its role, and the role of librarians is essential to the preservation of the Library.
- Provides the opportunity for personal enlightenment.
- Encourages the love of learning.
- Empowers people to fulfill their civic duty.
- Facilitates human connections.
- Preserves and provides materials.
- Expands capacity for creative expression.
- Inspires and perpetuates hope.
- Are stewards of the Library.
- Connect people with accurate information.
- Assist people in the creation of their human and information networks.
- Select, organize and facilitate creation of content.
- Protect access to content and preserve freedom of information and expression.
- Anticipate, identify and meet the needs of the Library’s community.